Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Bye-bye Builder Grade...AKA How We Framed Our Mirror

We bought our 9 year-old home almost 3 years ago.  Like most new construction, our house has lovely "builder grade" mirrors in all of the bathrooms.  (What I mean is that there really isn't anything special about them!)

I saw this amazing idea on pinterest and we got to work framing the mirror in our downstairs bathroom.  

Here's a "before."


First, we went to Lowes and purchased 2 pieces of wood moulding for $22 total.  We borrowed my father-in-law's power miter saw and cut 45 degree angles to create a frame the correct lengths for each side of the mirror.  (You could also do this with a miter box.)         


Then I spray-painted both side of each of the four cut pieces.

And, yes, if those pieces look dark green and not black (like we intended) you are correct.  In an eager hurry to start this project I grabbed "Charleston Green" paint by mistake.  This was just to prove that we are NOT DIY-ers at all!  Overall, not the worst mistake.    


After painting the trim BLACK, we were good to go.  


We piped liquid nails for mirrors on the back of each piece of trim, staying in the middle of each piece so nothing would reflect in the mirror.  And let me say that this stuff was awesome.  It securely held each piece of trim from as soon as it was in place.  We did not even need to use tape, etc. to help hold the trim up while it dried.  


Everything dried easily and then we used paintable caulk on the corners to hide the seams.  



I went back over with a foam brush and painted over the caulk.  (Just sprayed some of the paint on a piece of cardboard and it worked just fine.)  


And...all finished!


We are pleased with how it turned out!  And for about $30, not bad for a "custom upgrade."  


Now to tackle the other 3 bathroom mirrors in the house....

PS - In case you missed it before, we found our directions here.  

Linking here.

32 comments:

  1. looks great! it's always those details that make the difference. I've been wanting to do this project in my kids bathroom forever. you may have just inspired me to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks AWESOME Tricia. I need to get going on ours. Maybe a weekend project over the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! It's funny how little things like that can make such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love, love, love it!!!! Steve will say this is an excuse for me to get him a miter saw....way to go on DIY-ing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to do this for some time now. You may have just motivated me. Thanks for sharing!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! I need to do this project... another added to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great I so need to do this to my bathroom mirrors! Thanks for posting. Found you on twoyellowbirds BTW and excited to be following you now :)

    Candice
    candicecraves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out perfect! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Artsy Girl. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-11.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really awesome! I want to do this so badly but am so nervous. Do you have any advice/cautions/pitfalls to avoid for when I try. I'm thinking of doing it myself and surprising my husband so any advice on how to make it go smoothly is appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks great! I'm so glad I found your blog. I think our blogs have a very similar theme (moving, making a new house into a home). I can't wait to see more projects from you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That really gives it a warm and polished finish!
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm stopping for a visit from Six Sisters' Stuff today!
    I'm having so much fun visiting the participants of this blog linky party.
    So many wonderful and creative ideas.
    We have mirrors like that in our apartment. Wish I could make changes like this. It looks so finished.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so much better. We framed the mirrors in our master bathroom and they so much more luxurious than a standard mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks awesome! I would love for you to stop by My Dream Canvas. Have a great week Anu.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's party time over at Debt Free Mommy Blog and you're invited!! Please stop on in and link up with Making Space Mondays. We look forward to seeing any post(s) about making your space better. Hope to see you there. -Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a difference this makes - totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have three mirrors I have been wanting to do this to and just haven't taken the time but seeing your great transformation has me inspired to get busy! Great job!

    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great improvement - love it - the black is superb!
    Thanks for linking up this week to the Creative Inspirations Linky Party!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've seen this on Pinterest too and I have been dying to do it to our mirrors. This is an awesome tutorial. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great makeover of that plain mirror!! It looks fabulous.


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. The frame really finishes it off nicely looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. We are anxious to do this project in our two guests baths, would you be so kind as to answer a couple of questions for me. First, did you glue the mirror to the wall before installing the trim pieces? If not, how did you hide the little plastic hooks that builders use to hang mirrors?

    Thanks for any help you can offer. Your mirror looks awesome.

    Mary L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our mirror had slender metal clips attaching the mirror to the wall, so we didn't glue the mirror to the wall. Sorry I can't help more on that one.

      Delete
  23. Looks wonderful!~ Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks great!! It adds so much to the mirror! Found you through a linky party and excited to be a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! Tricia this turned out incredible! Thanks for sharing at It's Overflowing Party...I'm featuring you on Saturday! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful transformation! It looks amazing! I would love it if you linked this project up at my link party! Here is the link:

    http://thewellcraftedhome.blogspot.com/2012/08/well-crafted-wednesdays-18-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. That looks fantastic!! I would love to do this to our mirrors! Thanks for the inspriation. Will pin this for future reference! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great job on the mirror! I found your site through the sasse life sunday social. I am your newest follower. I hope you get an opportunity to stop by TheStuffofSuccess and say hello. Have a terrific week. Athena

    ReplyDelete
  29. hello,
    Everyone who has written this post . It i realyyy nice information about bathroom mirrors.


    Builders Warwick Qld

    ReplyDelete
  30. your post looking different and informative.get more like you on Warwick builder

    ReplyDelete