Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Detangling Doll's Hair

Rapunzel's hair was looking a bit tangled lately.  



I read several ways to repair a doll's hair on pinterest, but all involved fabric softer which I don't use.  So I came up with my own strategy that worked great.  

First I detangled the hair as best as I could.  Then I added some dish soap and rubbed it in the hair.  
Next I soaked the hair in HOT (heated in the microwave where it was almost boiling) water.


Added a few drops of regular conditioner and combed the hair out.  Then I soaked again in the HOT water.  I brushed the hair again and left it to dry overnight.  

In the morning the hair was soft and smooth and brushed easily.



Clare is happy to be brushing Rapunzel's hair once again!  
(And now she's longing for a Flynn Rider doll!)

Linking here:


11 comments:

  1. Can I try this on my hair whenever I decide its a good idea to not wash it for a week??

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI! I found you on Sunday Social and I love your blog! I am your newest follower and was kinda maybe sorta hopin' that you would pop on by and follow me back.

    xoxo-
    Sarah
    www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wondering what you brushed the hair with? a doll brush of a regular comb? My daughter has a rapunzel toddler doll who's hair is a disaster. I tried the fabric softener thing and it didn't work....

    ReplyDelete
  4. thankyou will use this for my vintage dolls hair

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LUV IT!!! THANK YOU KINDLY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how long you soaked the dolls hair for?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tried the fabric softener method as well as the olive oil method. Neither of them worked. I am about to try your method now as a last resort. If it doesn’t work I’m just going to make Rapunzel a short haired doll! You deserve an award for figuring out this trick! A sincere thank you for moms everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this articles,it helps to know more about gemstones
    For better sofa renovation contact thesofastore gives best Sofa Refurbishing in Kathriguppe,Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had the exact same Mattel rapunzel doll since 2012. It was my elder sister's doll. At that time I was 2. But after she came to our house I brushed her hair a lot. Then her hair became matted. Then I again combed her a lot and a lot to fix it. I also used a hair conditioner, oil, etc to fix it. But it didn't work. Now she has very less, thin and short hair. Now, whenever I see any Rapunzel doll I miss her. I wish I had seen your article earlier. My future plan is to reroot her hair when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried this yesterday on a 1969 Chrissy doll, that has super long hair that pulls out from her body. This trick worked wonderful!

    ReplyDelete