Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Everyday Chambray {Guest Post}


Happy Tuesday!  I'm so excited to be hosting my cousin Maria from The Style Letters today!  Her knowledge in fashion is way above my current sweats apparel!  You can be sure I'll be taking notes on this lesson in style...    

First, thanks to Tricia for having me guest post on making it feel like home! I read this blog every day and am incredibly inspired by my cousin's creativity, organization, and resourcefulness. I can't say this post will offer much in the latter two attributes, but I can show you how to get creative with your wardrobe!

From Old Navy to Madewell, chambray is everywhere! Over the past few months, I've found that the chambray shirt has replaced my dependable white button-down as the most versatile piece in my closet. I can dress it up or down, depending on what I pair it with, and no two chambray tops are alike...which may explain why I now have four of them in constant rotation. 

Inspired by this how-to guide on Pinterest, I styled three of my own favorite chambray looks.


(Image courtesy of The Average Girl's Guide)

First, I paired my light chambray button-down with a white floral dress. 

 

(Target Xhilaration Shirt, Gap Dress, J.Crew Belt, Ann Taylor Loft Clutch, Dune Wedges)

Perfect for early spring weather, the chambray top not only adds a little warmth, but helps transition the dress between seasons. In the fall, I'll belt a cardigan in an autumn hue over the dress and add tights, boots, and a scarf. Seasonless dressing at its best.

Next, I created a more work-appropriate look for the boardroom.


(Banana Republic Shirt (similar), Target Merona Skirt, J.Crew Bracelet, Tinley Road Pumps)

Although this top is a darker chambray blue, the material is actually linen and makes for a dressier option at the office. A bright orange-red pencil skirt and leopard-print pumps keep the look from being too serious in a creative environment; the button-down looks just as great with a black skirt or trousers for a more conservative workplace.

And finally, I threw together a casual weekend outfit.


(Primark Shirt, Madewell Jeans, Target Mossimo Kinley Boots)

I love how this chambray shirt feels (and looks) like it's been washed a few too many times. With my go-to black skinnies and wedge boots, I'm all set for a Saturday of running errands or brunch with the girls. And with a chambray this light, I can also wear it with dark blue skinny jeans and not feel like I'm channeling Jay Leno in all his denim-on-denim glory.

How do you style your chambray shirt? Share your favorite chambray looks in the Comments section below, or send me an email at thestyleletters@gmail.com!

~ Maria ~

No comments:

Post a Comment