Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom!




I wish we could be there to celebrate today!

Since I can remember I have always been told that I look like my mom.  And since I was her worse labor, complete with back labor (sorry!) I inherited her name.

Now that I am a mother myself, I appreciate my own mom all the more.  Suddenly you realize and understand just how much your own mother loves you.  And you appreciate the years of selflessness and unconditional love that have been poured out for you in a new light.
 
There are many things I admire about my mom, but a few stand out above the rest.

My mom is a reader.  I always remember my mom reading...usually while feeding and rocking one of my younger siblings.  I enjoyed being read to by my parents growing up.  One book I remember my mom reading to me is "Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now?" by Dr. Seuss.  I specifically remember this book because my mom's OB had a copy of it in the waiting room.  And throughout my mom's entire pregnancy with my younger sister, Mary Jo, I had her read it to me every time she had a doctor's appointment.  And...she actually really despised that book!  (Maybe this had something to do with me requesting it so often???)

  

My mom has a wonderful sense of humor.  She always sees the bright side of things.  And when you aren't seeing it that way, she'll remind you that "the first 100 years are the hardest!"

My mom is a very thoughtful gift-giver.  I am always amazed at Christmas when gifts are opened how everyone ends up with something they really needed or she knew they would enjoy.  (And by the secret code that she remembers as to who gets what present because some people that still live at home like to snoop and shake and try to figure out what they might be getting...)

I am thankful to have such a wonderful resource and friend to rely on as I navigate through motherhood myself.

Happy Birthday, Mom!  I love you!    


No comments:

Post a Comment