Friday, February 24, 2012

Hearty Black Bean Soup

This soup is very easy to make and very tasty!  (It's one of our favorite Lenten dinners!)  
We like it paired with cheese quesadillas. 
(Or if you're having company, serve it black bean and corn salsa or Mexican corn salsa!)    


Hearty Black Bean Soup
1 cup tomato salsa
2 - 15 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups (1 can) chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1 tsp. lime juice (or more to taste)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
sour cream (optional)

Heat the salsa in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring often for about 5 minutes.  Stir in the beans and broth.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer the soup, covered, for 15 minutes.

let the soup cool slightly, then ladle half of it into a food processor or blender and puree it.  Return the pureed soup to the pot.  Stir in the lime juice and chopped cilantro and heat the mixture through.  Serve the soup warm, topped with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.

Makes 4 servings.


Linking here.

15 comments:

  1. this looks delicious!

    I feel bad -- I don't think I popped over and commented after you said hi on my blog --!! I've been enjoying reading though and love knowing about fellow FUS alum bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness this looks incredible!

    Allyson
    http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia-
    This looks so yummy! I really want to try this!! Thanks for sharing this recipe:) I appreciate you stopping by my blog and for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just pinned this - never tried this soup before but it looks delicious! Come share at my link party: http://www.dwellonjoy.com/2012/02/dwell-on-fridays-five.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really good - and healthy!! Thanks for linking this up to the Take it on Tuesday blog hop! I'm pinning this.

    I hope you stop by this Tuesday to link up as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delish:) always fun to try new recipes...especially soup!! checking you out from shabbygals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so good thanks for sharing at Taste This Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up with The Recipe Party!
    Hope to see you again Sunday :)
    <3 Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks yummy and easy! I always want to have quesadillas for
    dinner, but they just aren't enough for a whole meal by themselves. I
    think we'll have to try this! I'm having a recipe link party this
    week, and I'd love for you to join the party!
    http://takingtimetocreate.blogspot.com/2012/03/recipe-thursday-pinned-recipes-and-time.html

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummmm! Hearty and delicious. Thanks so much for linking up!
    igottacreate.blogspot.com
    "Kiss Me I'm Irish" linky party now open

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely going to try this - I just went and uploaded it to my pinterest so I won't forget!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Thanks so much for giving me this recipe! I LOVE Black Bean Soup and this sounds awesome!
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds delicious!! I love that you serve it with quesadillas. YUM!! Thanks for sharing at Thursday's Temptation.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fixed this for dinner last night Tricia! It was SOOO good. Added a bit more cilantro, a half of a lime squeezed, and some fresh onions. I think I'll make it again next week when the in-laws come :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete