Thursday, April 12, 2012

Seedling Success

We planted some seeds indoors a few weeks ago and tried something different this year...


We started our seeds in cardboard egg cartons and it worked great.


First I cut the top apart from the bottom.  


Then stuck a piece of saran wrap in-between the top and bottom pieces.  


We filled each egg compartment with soil and planted our seeds.  
(Is Ellen telling me she doesn't believe I have a green thumb and we should call the whole thing quits?)


There were no issues with water spilling out or getting the windowsill wet when we (I) watered.  


Growing...


We are ready to plant our seedlings in containers for our deck (out of the reach of the neighborhood rabbits!) after the chance for frost this week passes.  When we do plant them, I plan on cutting each egg compartment off the main carton and putting the entire thing in the soil.  The roots are already poking through!      


Hopefully we will have full and colorful flowers on our deck this summer!

image


Linking here.

18 comments:

  1. Yayyy for spring!!! So glad to see signs of it coming around. Gotta get my seeds planted too.

    Lesley
    http://byporchlight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Tricia, thanks for this post...I must get my seeds planted! Great idea! I'm sure yours will do great. Did you use special potting soil?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of using an egg carton and the top with plastic wrap to prevent leaking. I'll have to use this idea in the future. Very exciting to have plants growing on the window seal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your idea!! I hope your deck is filled with beautiful flowers soon :) Thanks for sharing at my party. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a clever idea! Little peat pots can be expensive... this is economical and really fun! I will have to try this too. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea. I would love to try it but we have chickens and so I never buy eggs in cartons. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I found you through The Grant Life's link up party. Great idea to plant the egg carton segments right into your containers! I didn't know you could do that but plan on starting some seeds this weekend. Hope I am not too late... Yours look great! from Holly @www.abakershouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to try starting seedlings in egg cartons - looks like it's working a treat!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable idea to plant them in an egg carton! I hope you share with us when they do fully bloom:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love gardening. I did this but forgot the syran! That would help eh? :)
    Jessie at http://jessiegunderson.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I've got it pinned for someday when I have fewer eggs than cartons!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice!! Looks awesome! I love gardening. I have not done anything from seeds or indoors before. It's great that you are having such success. Thanks for linking up to Romance on a Dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love cosmos! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. great job! I already killed my seedlings LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. great idea.. I am so doing this now, especially after having a few seedling being eaten by birds and a few dying.. :( thanks for linking up at friday fun party :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! Doesn't it feel so good to get plants started? Thanks for linking up to Refresh Your Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea! That looks doable for me and I need the help - Thanks for linking up this week - so happy to have you here!
    Stacey of Embracing Changes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I definitely need to give this a try. The deer and chipmunks are always picking at my flowers. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete