Thursday, November 3, 2011

How to Make a Rainbow Cake


For Clare's 6th birthday I made my first attempt at a "rainbow cake."  It was very easy to make and the end result was so neat!  (I impressed Ryan quite a bit!)  

You will need 2 boxes of cake mix and 2 - 3 containers of icing.  

Mix up the cake mix according to package directions.  I divided the cake batter into separate bowls and added food coloring to each bowl to make all 6 colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.  To make each layer of the cake the same thickness, I put about 1 1/3 cup of batter into each bowl.


I baked 3 cakes at a time (that's all the cake pans I had).  They baked at 350 for 25 minutes.  


Cool the cakes and begin assembling the cake by staking and icing the layers together.

Ice the entire cake...I only used 2 containers of icing, but I think I could have used 1 more to cover the cake a little better.  And we even topped it with rainbow sprinkles!  

























The surprise is when the cake is cut...so neat!  Clare said she'll remember this cake until she's 10!  


4 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea! Your cake looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that looks amazing! And yummy! :) So many layers, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool!I keep wanting to try one of these cakes but I'm not sure I could do it!

    ReplyDelete