Monday, January 9, 2012

Cuban Black Beans



Here's a delicious recipe if you are trying to eat healthy in the new year.  Nothing ever sounds good to me at lunchtime, so I make a batch of these beans and eat this for lunch for the week.  (Although I usually leave out the green peppers and celery.)  Yummy on a whole wheat tortilla with some brown rice and salsa!

Cuban Black Beans
1 lb. black beans 
large onion
green peppers chopped
3 cloves garlic
--saute in olive oil

3 celery stalks
3 bay leaves
3 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon salt
pepper to taste

Soak beans in 4 cups of water overnight (save water).  
Cook with 4 cups of chicken stock and soaking water.  

4 comments:

  1. What kind of vinegar? Is this a Lisa D original?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure on the vinegar as I have never used it...so you could ask Todd because it's actually his (or maybe even Lupe's?) recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good, I have trouble figuring out lunch everyday too! I am going to give this a try, but I'm using canned beans, hope it still tastes as good as your recipe sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I can't wait to try this! I lived in south florida for awhile and I miss the cuban food!

    ReplyDelete