Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Slipcovered Headboard

Yesterday I gave a tour of my 4 year-old son's bedroom.  One thing I really like in his room is the slipcovered headboard I made for the bed.


 I have to admit that the sewing was my work, but it was my father-in-law that did the rest.

I started with a piece of plywood cut 24 inches tall by 38 inches wide and two 2x4's that were 30 inches long each.  We screwed the 2x4's onto the plywood and then attached them onto the metal bed frame using the appropriate nuts and bolts.

Then I painted the 2x4's white to finish them up a bit.



I took quilting batting and wrapped it over the top of the plywood and stapled it down.  Then I wrapped the batting all the way around the plywood several times.  (The thickness/amount is up to you.)  It will look something like this:


 Next I made a slipcover for the headboard.  This is really just a large pillowcase.  I bought a piece of navy corduroy fabric that would fit the measurements of my headboard and folded it in half so I only had to sew seams on the sides
(less sewing for me!).

For the corners I sewed across the top of each to "make" a boxed corner.  I'm sure there is an actual sewing term for this...but I have no idea what it would be!  :)



 I hemmed the bottom to finish it off.  Then turned it right side out and pressed it with the iron.


 After putting the slipcover over the headboard,  here's the end result!



Here's how it looks on the side.  


The great thing about this headboard being slipcovered is that it is washable (great for a little boy's room)!


And it is also very easy to change out the slipcover if you decide on a different material.  
(This bed frame and headboard actually started out in my daughter's room and was simple to change for a boy's room.)

(Before her room was painted pink.)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Tricia! Im way behind on commenting.. but I did just go through alot of your awesome posts! Im going to try the ice blocks with Ryley! And Jude's new room is so awesome! Love that you can wash the headboard.. so so smart! Hope all is well.. and I love the new look ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!! I may try that headboard cover. I have an old, old bedroom set that needs updating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I love the idea of being able to change the slip cover out to match the decor or just to wash. You could even have a slipcover for each bedding set!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats such a great idea! I was just thinking I'd need to make my son a headboard when we move him from a toddler bed to a big boy bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great headboard! And so far as I know they really are called 'boxed corners' - at least that's what I've always called them! :)

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I love the upholstered headboard look :o)
    THanks for linking up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  8. Washable! Genius. It's padded too, so if/when he jumps on his bed, he won't bonk his noggin as hard.

    ReplyDelete